This is a Full-Time & Part-Time position, working 3rd Shift. All applicants must be at least 20 years old.
3rd shift positions are scheduled from 11:00pm to 9:00am. Currently, weekend work is required of all Youth Counselors.
Maryhurst provides treatment programs for severely traumatized children who most often are victims of sexual, physical, and/or emotional abuse. Children in our care turn to risk-taking behaviors to cope with their pain. These behaviors can include such actions as running away, truancy, suicidal gesturing, delinquency, and substance abuse. Their issues are further complicated by years of multiple placements in foster care and hospital settings. In fact, prior to their involvement with Maryhurst, any one of our children is likely to have experienced an average of 20 out-of-home placements. We work hard to provide consistency, structure, and love for children. It is because of this philosophy and the hard work of staff and volunteers that our programs are successful.
Job Skills/Requirements:The Youth Counselor (YC) is responsible for providing a therapeutic atmosphere within the dormitory or group home setting.
- Actively monitors the clients while they sleep and ensures the safety of the dormitory.
- The YC will supervise breakfast, dispense medication as needed, keep various records, and attend weekly/monthly meetings.
- The YC functions as a conscientious member of a team in cooperation with other staff members and under the supervision of a Program Supervisor.
- The applicant must have the following abilities: To work as a team member; perform basic writing, communications, and computer skills; function as a group leader and role model in relation to troubled youth; respond appropriately to the emotional and physical needs of adolescents within a structured group setting.
• High School Graduate or Equivalent
• Bachelor’s degree and experience in working with adolescents preferred.
• Persons applying for these positions must be willing and able to perform “Safe Crisis Management", a technique used to restrain or transport a resident who has temporarily lost control of their behavior. Maryhurst provides extensive training opportunities for all employees who will have direct contact with the clients.
• The applicant must also possess a valid driver's license.
For more information and to apply online go to: http://www.mycareernetwork.com/clientResumeMgr/Default.aspx
Posted on Tue, March 12, 2013
by Daisy Perez