Gateway Community and Technical College in Edgewood, KY seeking a Director of Disability Services
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
The Director of Disability Services leads the college department that approves academic adjustments and auxiliary aids (accommodations) for students with disabilities to have access to and benefit from courses, programs, and events at the college.
· Oversee all aspects of service provision to students with disabilities by providing leadership to and supervision of Disability Services staff
· Receive and evaluate documentation of students' disabilities, interview students about requested academic adjustments and auxiliary aids (accommodations) based on documented limitations caused by disability, implement provision of accommodations, and monitor efficacy of accommodations.
· Develop and update procedures for services to students with disabilities who attend the college; understands applicable federal and state disability anti-discrimination laws
· Maintain records of students' information and services received
· Develop budget for Disability Services and maintain responsibility for department purchasing
· Provide consultation and training to faculty, staff, administration, and students on disability-related issues and accommodation challenges.
· Schedule interpreting services, maintain interpreter schedules and adjust as needed, submit reimbursement projection to state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, and calculate and submit final reimbursement request at end of each term
· Participate in professional development and professional networking to increase understanding of Disability Civil Rights Laws as they relate to postsecondary education and all other duties as assigned
· Qualifications: Masters degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling, Special Education, Student Services Personnel, Law
· Ability to network with personnel in Disability Services field and know where to go for information
· Ability to communicate with minority populations
· Understanding of assistive technology
It is essential that the person serving in this capacity be proficient in all aspects of computer operation and software (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and database knowledge).
Excellent organizational skills; high attention to detail; independent; self-motivated; able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate with many individuals at all levels throughout the internal college environment as well as external business and community partners, representing his/her self in a professional and courteous manner; ability to communicate clearly in writing and verbally; ability to multi-task, work under deadlines, and prioritize projects to meet deadlines with high levels of efficiency and accuracy.
Expected start date: 9/1/2015
Work hours (shift) will be: M-F, 8-4:30; After hours when needed
The Director of Disability Services manages the budget and is responsible for purchasing goods and services
Contact: Gateway Community and Technical College
Online App. Form:
Posted on Mon, August 10, 2015
by Teresa Elmore