The Development Specialist is responsible for identifying, cultivating and soliciting new and loyal donors to the annual giving campaign. With focus on planning of major fund raising projects and events in collaboration with the Director of Development & Marketing.
1. Cultivates, solicits, maintains, and manages all aspects of annual giving campaign. Participates in the planning, coordination, development, and acknowledgement of gift requests and proposals relating to the overall development effort and/or program specific needs.
2. Identifies new prospects using a variety of development practices such as: mailings, personal meetings, working with prospect’s financial advisors, and other methods as directed by Director of Development & Marketing.
3. Together with the Director of Development, assist with the design, preparation and production and delivery of all direct mail solicitation pieces for JFCS
4. Keeps accurate records of all contacts and reports cultivation status with Director of Development & Marketing.
5. Devises effective strategies for moving existing donors to a higher level of giving.
6. Conducts a thorough review of agency’s Gift Acceptance Policies/Procedures
7. Collaborates with Director of Development & Marketing on an annual basis, budget and goals for all activities impacting JFCS
8. Create an innovative and responsive annual gifts program and monitor and evaluate all aspects of the program.
1. Together with the Director of Development, design, plan, implement and promote all aspects of organization special events that focus awareness on JFCS.
2. Responsible for providing support in special events for the organization.
3. Together with the Development Department, responsible for obtaining in-kind and sponsor support for events.
4. Identify, present and execute innovative fund-raising events that are compatible with organizational goals and supportive of the mission.
5. Monitor and evaluate efficiency and effectiveness of special event fund-raisers.
6. Assists with negotiations of event contracts and other vendor agreements.
7. Ensures accurate and up-to-date tracking of event finances including check requests, invoicing, budgets, and reporting.
8. Utilizes excellent communication and interpersonal skills to successfully establish and maintain professional relationships and work effectively with all levels of management.
9. Coordinates and recruits volunteers for events.
10. Work with Communications Specialist to create and disseminate communications pertaining to events.
Bachelor Degree preferred.
Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in areas of fund-raising through campaigns or special events. Experience in recruiting and/or managing volunteers is preferred.
Demonstrate knowledge of fundraising principles and strategies
Ability to influence, educate and negotiate in a professional, results driven manner
Ability to maintain highly sensitive and confidential material
Communicate with high net-worth donors
Ability to set priorities, research, problem solve and make independent decisions with minimal supervision
Must be able to multi-task and possess strong organizational, planning and follow-through skills.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of individuals
Well developed presentation, organizational and time management skills
Basic computer knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher and Donor Database software
Two (2) to three (3) years’ event planning experience or equivalent education/training required
Strong customer service skills
Must be able to work independently
Experience in writing RFP’s and reading contracts
Extremely detailed oriented