||Assistant Director, Media Communications
||Swathmore, Pennsylvania, United States
||April 28, 2014
this & other PR Related jobs found at Jobs.prsa.org
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS
As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College offers more than 600 courses a year and more than 50 areas of study. Global in outlook, the College draws students from around the world and all 50 states. Swarthmore’s 425?acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods adjacent to the campus. Educating approximately 1,500 students, the College employs just over 1,000 employees, including full-time, part-time, and instructional staff members.
The Assistant Director of Media Communications supports the work of the Communications Office broadly, especially web and media communications. S/he is responsible for meeting a wide variety of needs and requests including writing, editing, and producing content for the College’s website, monitoring traditional and social media in real time and conducting research as needed.
Specific job duties include:
• Produce editorial and multimedia web content on deadline for the College’s homepage, as well as work with colleagues across campus to maintain academic and administrative department websites
• Develop and execute fresh ways to tell Swarthmore’s story through its digital platforms
• Produce and distribute twice daily reports on topics of interest in traditional and social media
• Analyze quantitative data and translate into narrative form on a regular and as needed basis
• Maintain and routinely add Faculty Expert profiles to the College website, working with the Associate Director
• Produce Swarthmore in the News stories for the College’s homepage and compilations of these stories for
the Board of Managers
• Use email software (MailChimp) to produce and send bi-weekly events newsletters, press releases, and
other correspondence to local media and community members
• Conduct research as needed, often quickly
• Recruit and manage student writer/editors
• Respond and manage requests sent to college email accounts managed by the Communications Office
including news@, webeditor@, acad-update@, as well as requests for commercial filming and photography
• Serve as a backup to the Associate Director of Media Communications, as needed
• Fulfill additional writing and other projects as directed by the Director of Web and Media Communications
• Strong writing, editing, and copyediting skills.
• Strong organizational skill including ability to juggle multiple assignments and deadlines simultaneously.
• Fluency in web metrics
• Strong interpersonal skills and customer service orientation.
• Ability to work collaboratively to build strong working relationships within the Communications office and with
all departments across campus.
• Willingness to take initiative and imagine new communications opportunities as they arise.
• Ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated interest in a higher education environment and understanding of College strategic objectives
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Software expertise including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop
• Proficiency in HTML and the use of various content management systems such as Drupal and Wordpress.
• Knowledge of social media networks, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Knowledge of Google Analytics
• Demonstrated record of the highest standards of personal and professional ethics.
Please apply through our web site at www.swarthmore.edu under Human Resources and Employment Opportunities.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Posted on Thu, May 8, 2014
by Teresa Elmore