Associate Pastor for Worship (part-time), Bardstown Methodist Church, Bardstown KY
Serves Under the Supervision of the Senior Pastor
Compensation commensurate to experience
Renewable Contract: June to June (each year)
Initial Probation Period: 90 Days
The Associate Pastor of Worship is a part-time position (approx. 12 - 15 hours a week) that will directly oversee and provide all spiritual leadership and creative support to leading the musical/pastoral aspect of the Contemporary Worship experience at Bardstown United Methodist Church in Bardstown, Kentucky. Additionally, this position will be involved in the development of a possible Alternative Worship service at our 2nd Campus or in our Family Life Center.
This position requires planning and executing all musical components of worship including, but not limited to, selection and arranging of music, leading the Praise and Worship Team, recruiting and training volunteers and working collaboratively in a team setting.
In addition to leading the Praise and Worship Team, the Associate Pastor will be a part of an expanded worship experience that will include preaching, teaching, congregational visitation, and the development of a Sunday School/Small group ministry for College/Young Adults.
Applicants for this position should be answering a “call” in their lives to pastoral ministry and, as such, should be holding at least basic ministerial credentials such as “License to Preach” or “Certified Candidate.” If these credentials are not held, the individual should be moving in the direction to obtain them.
This is an outstanding opportunity for the Seminary student or recently graduated student who is interested in obtaining “hands-on” experience in the functions and pursuits of a growing church. This position provides not only contemporary worship exposure but outreach into the local community as a pastor. This position will report directly to the Senior Pastor and will serve as an integral part of creating, planning and overseeing efforts that reach out missionally into the community, as well as augmenting the breadth and quality of the church’s current worship services.
• Be a committed follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to know, love and serve God.
• Have a servant’s heart as a pastor and as an artist in building the community of faith.
• Display the desire and the maturity to work as a part of a team, establishing Christ-like relationships.
• Lead in a variety of contexts (individual, small groups, large groups) with the Gospel of Jesus Christ central. Be a self-starter and an initiative-taker.
• Have a heart for people, shepherding them while also preparing them to be disciples of Jesus Christ.
• Have a passion for connecting people to Christ through both music and worship. Exhibit pastoral presence during the service as well as in daily life.
Understand and champion the church’s mission and vision within the theology and traditions of the United Methodist Church. This will include exemplifying the church’s values and upholding its policies.
Positional Skill Set:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities that are required.
• To have a pastoral relationship with all members and regular attendees, families, and individuals, and assist, at the Senior Pastor’s discretion, in ministering to these persons in times of need.
• Assist the Senior Pastor in building a musically diverse Praise and Worship Team as well as a strong and cohesive staff.
• Show proficiency on guitar or piano and proven experience as a leader
• Have proven experience in performing, training, and directing a variety of people, both instrumentally and vocally.
• Demonstrate knowledge of modern worship music and traditional hymns appropriate for a worship setting.
• Provide leadership in conducting worship, to include leading the Praise and Worship Team
• Lead the Praise and Worship Team rehearsals on a weekly basis.
• Initiate new music opportunities for the Praise and Worship Team
• Coordinate music and video selections, both in design and execution, for the contemporary worship service, to include media and technical elements. Facilitate lighting, sound, and presentation software (Media Shout) and be able to assist in these production components when needed.
• Be able to relate to and lead a multi-generational congregation in worship, engaging the heart of people through music and words.
• Demonstrate an ability to preach and teach.
• Understand how to see and communicate the “big picture” of the worship experience and yet, be a detail oriented individual in its execution.
• Have excellent oral communication skills
• Possess a high level of initiative, motivation and enthusiasm.
• Be proficient in PC platforms, Microsoft Office Suite and Media Shout
• Be able to maintain confidences, effectively listening and communicating. Demonstrate the ability to resolve conflicts in a productive and God-honoring manner.
Candidates for this position are asked to send their resume to Bardstown United Methodist Church, 116 E. Flaget Avenue Bardstown, Kentucky 40004 Attention: SPPRC or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Information about Bardstown United Methodist Church can be obtained from our website: www.bardstownmethodist.org or find us on Facebook
Posted on Mon, June 9, 2014
by Teresa Elmore